Thursday, May 03, 2007



The wild plum is blossoming in the valley, it smells so good!!!
I think the other flower is a sand lily. I've been taking photos of local blooming plants, just to make a file with them and inventory. Last mother's day I did an inventory with Douglas County Open Space hikers and the Colorado Native Plant Society at the Cherokee Ranch Castle grounds. Each person submitting a plant list received two gift passes to visit the castle. I loved the experiences. So now I'm creating our local plant list.

I've been reading Esalen, about a philosophical group in Big Sur. Synchronicity is emphasized as a way of communicating divine messages. With the same type of synchronicity, I just read an article in Yoga Journal about the hot springs (hot springs yummm) and the next day the book was at the library with the new acquisitions. It's written by Jeffrey J. Kripal, the chair of the comparative religion dept. at Rice University. The theme is about America and the Religion of No Religion.

I've really enjoyed reading it. It's inspiring and I feel like I'm getting a philosophy class from my armchair (well I usually read in bed). I love how it's firing all sorts of neurons in my brain. Which is another premise mentioned in the book, the impact books have on readers and then the reader's effect on the world as a result. It makes a really good argument for reading.

Just ordered two cd's from the library with jazz saxaphonist, Benny Golson, one a jazz documentary soundtrack and one with him playing with Art Blakey. There was a great piece on him today on Morning Edition and now I want to hear more of his music.
Benny Golson: From Jazz to Hollywood and Back: www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=9972619

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home